Floyd Mayweather Jr., left, hits Manny Pacquiao, from the Philippines, during their welterweight title fight on Saturday, May 2, 2015 in Las Vegas. Pic: AP.
Floyd Mayweather Jr., left, hits Manny Pacquiao, from the Philippines, during their welterweight title fight on Saturday, May 2, 2015 in Las Vegas. Pic: AP.
Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen says he will not pay up on a US$5,000 bet he placed on Saturday’s Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr fight in Las Vegas because the result – given to Mayweather in a unanimous decision – was unfair.
The Cambodia Daily reports that Hun Sen launched into a 15-minute tirade about the “injustice created by the judges” at an event in Pursat province Monday.
“I send a message to American judges to provide an explanation for why Floyd won,” he said. “Floyd was just running around—blocking and avoiding—while Pacquiao repeatedly threw more and more punches, punching him to lie against the ropes.”
“I didn’t expect that American judges would be so weak,” he added. “I just know America clearly now. Judges made a unanimous decision to make a winner become a loser.”
Speaking about a US$5,000 bet he placed on the fight in favor of Pacquiao, he said: “Now if we are talking about yesterday’s fight, I owe you, but I will not pay.”
Cambodia President Hun Sen. Pic: AP.
Cambodia President Hun Sen. Pic: AP.
Opinion has been divided on the outcome of Saturday’s “fight of the century”, though most agreed that the bout did not live up to the massive hype.
Two judges favored Mayweather 116-112, while a third had it 118-110. In its report on the fight, the Associated Press said it scored it 115-113 for Mayweather.
Pacquiao said he didn’t agree with the judges.
“I thought I caught him many more times than he caught me,” Pacquiao said. “I was never hurt. I was very surprised at the scores. I hit him more times than he hit me.”
His coach Freddie Roach, however, seemed less surprised by the result.
“Between rounds, I asked for more combinations from Manny,” Roach said. “I thought he fought flat-footed a little too much.”
Our resident Pacquiao expert Edwin Espejo concurred with Roach in his post-fight analysis. He wrote: “Some even said it was a bad decision. But, no, it was not a bad decision.  It was the right decision at the end of a disappointing fight that never measured up to the hype.”
Hun Sen, meanwhile, has suggested a rematch between the two fighters should be held in China, where he feels Pacquiao would get fairer treatment.
please you click here to read original test